Thursday, November 1, 2007

About Me

Many years ago, I realized that my method of stress relief included cooking and baking. On difficult days, I found myself in the kitchen with a large pot of Chicken Chipotle Stew, loaves of Banana Bread and Apple Pies...all at once! Some people paint and some garden; I cook and bake.

Looking back, I remember always standing upon a stool "helping" my grandmother make French Pancakes, fruit salad, les petit pommes de terre (little fried potato balls) and so many other things. I think cooking was a part of me long before I realized how much I love it.

I have lived in Peru since the beginning of 2003 as a missionary. My experiences here in Peru have taken me to 19 of the 24 departments, including the heights of the Andes mountains and the depths of the jungle. I love the variety of cultures within Peru and I find that variety so often represented in the foods of the different regions.

My passion for cooking and baking has only grown, but now includes the incredible dishes of Peruvian Cuisine. The stews are so flavorful, the fruit so fresh, the vegetables are in such variety and the hot peppers are unforgettable. After only a few days visiting another country, I long for a plate of Seco de Res and do my best to find ingredients wherever I am to find ingredients to satisfy my craving.

Through Canela & Comino, I hope to take you on an adventure through Peru, showing you the many delicious foods found here as well as all the creative things you can do with them. Thank you for your visit and please enjoy the stories, the recipes, and the photos. Please feel free to leave me a comment, a suggestion or even a recipe request.

9 comments:

DEPJ said...

Your time in Peru sounds wonderful! I think one can learn so much about a country's culture (or cultures) from its food. Good luck to you.

RecipeGirl said...

I'm just discovering your blog... how interesting to be representing Peru. I hope you're having a great experience there.

A dear friend of mine here is from Peru and gives us tidbits of Peruvian food and culture often. I look forward to browsing your blog!

Michelle said...

I am enjoying your blog and can't wait to try some of the recipes. This Chicken Chipotle stew sounds like my kind of food! By some of the other foods you mentioned, I couldn't help but wonder if you had spent time in France? Such a great thing to be able to travel and experience foods of other regions.

Miau said...

As a peruvian traveling often and missing my food, or better said, our food, thank you for being such a great ambassador of the things we peruvians enjoy and do better, cooking and eating! :)

maybelles mom said...

Thanks for visiting and very interesting blog.

molly588 said...

Thank goodness I found your recipes here. I moved to Peru to live with my boyfriend and am trying to learn how to cook. My spanish is passable but getting specific directions on recipes is difficult as they don{t seem to need them here. So, finding your site is a Godsend! Thank you!

Yamile said...

Hi, I'm Peruvian and this is the first time I visit your blog, and let tell you that it is amazing. The pictures are fantastic too. Thanks for showing the food and culture of my country in such a great way.
I´m going to link your blog right away...

Yamile

Moyo_Mama said...

I am sooo excited about finding your blog. I'm a missionary in Moyobamba, Peru, along with my husband and three children. I can't wait to explore your recipes. I stuggle finding the right ingredients. We love Peruvian food, but often crave american food. I can relate to your comments. You are a fantastic photographer too. Gracias amigita, y Dios te bendiga!

Unknown said...

I discovered your blog today and think it's great.

Do you know Mexico Cooks!? You'll find it at http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com. I think you'd really love it--and maybe you'd like to link to it on Canela y Comino. Let me know if you do, please.

Best and continued good work...

Cristina